Monday, May 10, 2004

IM clients review: Verichat
Yesterday I saw re-publish in PA (without my intervention) my first IM review, I saw that as a sign that I should finish what I started, here is part 3:

Verichat

Finally we get to the current king in IM clients for PalmOS: Verichat. PDAApps maker of Verichat uses a propietary protocol and its own servers as gateways to other IM services, while very reliable (I never had a problem connecting to the service) it opens several uncomfortable options: the company can start charging a subscription fee plus the cost of the software, if the company goes under then the software will stop working. Now this is just speculation, I mention this because it a possibility.

Now, let's check what it supports:

- MSN, Yahoo, AOL IM and ICQ.
- Full support for emoticons (not animated though)
- Background support, it keeps connected while your are working in other apps.
- Keeps online presence even "offline", by sending your messages to your cellphone.
- Support for multiple conversations.
- Really, really pretty.

Now the problems:
- Verichat allows your handheld to turn off not like chatapus that just turn off the screen, probably because it keep you "online" forwarding all your messages to your cell phone.
- It does not notify you if you receive and email in your hotmail or yahoo account.

In my next post I will give my personal selection and why.

Gabriel Castellanos